Do you want to save money by buying cheaper Toyota Sequoia insurance in Houston? Nobody I know enjoys paying for auto insurance, in particular when they could find lower prices if they just compared rates.
Unbelievably, over 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never shopped around. With the average auto insurance premium being $2,679, Texas drivers could save $1,770 a year, but they don’t understand how simple it is to compare other rate quotes. Companies like GEICO and Progressive continually bombard you with catchy ads and it can be hard to not get sucked in by the cute commercials and take the time to shop coverage around.
Why Your Insurance Premiums might be higher
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but other factors are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your commute time. Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that help determine your auto insurance rates. If you know what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you lower rates.
The list below includes some of the major factors used by your company to calculate your rate level.
- Affects performance affects premiums – The make and model of the car you need insurance for makes a big difference in the rate you pay. The lowest rates are generally reserved for economy passenger models, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors. Since the Toyota Sequoia is classified as a standard SUV, insuring your vehicle will cost slightly more when compared to the average rates in Houston.
- Single drivers take more risk – Being married may save some money when shopping for auto insurance. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature and responsible and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Better drivers pay the best costs – Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance compared to bad drivers. Even a single speeding ticket may increase your cost to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers unfortunate enough to have dangerous tickets such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Your address can influence price – Being located in a small town has it’s advantages when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer people means less chance of accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Urban drivers tend to have more road rage incidents and longer commute times. Longer commute distances translates into higher accident risk.
- Save money with high credit – Having a bad credit history factor in your rate calculation. If your credit history could use some work, you could save money insuring your Toyota Sequoia if you clean up your credit. Insureds that have excellent credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with poor credit.
- Increase comp and collision deductibles to save – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are collision with another vehicle, hail damage, and burglary. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles state the amount of money you are required to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. The more damage repair cost you have to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Insurance loss data for a Toyota Sequoia – Insurance companies analyze claim trends for every vehicle to help calculate premium prices. Vehicles that statistically have a higher amount or frequency of claims will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table below demonstrates the loss history for Toyota Sequoia vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles compiled together is represented as 100. Percentage values below 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while values over 100 point to more losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Toyota Sequoia Vehicles
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Sequoia 4dr 2WD 70 103 80 57 Toyota Sequoia 4dr 4WD 82 115 96 57 50 77
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Finding a better price on car insurance is actually easier than you may think. All you need to do is take the time to compare rates from some recommended companies.
Doing online rate quotes comparisons is so easy that it takes the place of having to spend time driving to insurance agencies in your area. Doing it all online eliminates the middleman unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional guidance that only a licensed agent can provide. Drivers can comparison shop your insurance online and still use a local agent.
The companies in the list below provide price comparisons in Texas. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sequoia SR/5 2WD||$202||$358||$462||$28||$138||$1,188||$99|
|Sequoia SR/5 4WD||$270||$472||$382||$22||$114||$1,260||$105|
|Sequoia Limited 2WD||$360||$572||$388||$24||$116||$1,460||$122|
|Sequoia Limited 4WD||$370||$584||$382||$22||$114||$1,472||$123|
|Sequoia Platinum 2WD||$258||$532||$430||$26||$128||$1,374||$115|
|Sequoia Platinum 4WD||$196||$414||$430||$26||$128||$1,194||$100|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in specific Houston garaging location which can affect rates substantially.
Should you raise deductibles?
The illustration below shows how different deductible levels and can raise or lower Toyota Sequoia yearly insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The data assumes a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are factored in.
Do you need full coverage?
The example below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Sequoia car insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Texas. Data assumes no violations or claims, $250 deductibles, single male driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no set guideline to drop physical damage coverage, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Toyota Sequoia claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $700 annually for full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not recommended. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage in place.
Impact of speeding/accidents on Houston auto insurance rates
The illustration below shows how traffic citations and accident claims drive up Toyota Sequoia insurance premiums for different insured age categories. The information is based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Don’t be fooled by advertising claims
Texas consumers get pounded daily by advertisements that claim the best premium rates from companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies make the same claim about savings just by switching to their company.
Is it even possible that every company can save you money on Toyota Sequoia insurance in Houston? Here is how they do it.
Companies have specific guidelines for the type of driver that earns them a profit. One example of a preferred risk might have to be over the age of 50, has no tickets, and chooses high deductibles. Any driver who meets those qualifications will probably get the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
People who are not a match for those criteria may be forced to pay more expensive rates and this results in the prospect going elsewhere. If you listen to the ad wording, they say “drivers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That’s why insurance companies can make those statements. Because of this risk profiling, you really need to do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It’s just not possible to know with any certainty which company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Protect your Sequoia and other assets
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Houston, insuring your vehicle may not be optional for several reasons.
First, just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a lien holder, almost all lenders will require you to have insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Toyota at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance preserves both your assets and your Toyota Sequoia. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average driver in Texas is overpaying more than $820 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at every renewal to save money.
You may qualify for discounts for Toyota Sequoia insurance in Houston
Auto insurance companies don’t always list all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Houston car insurance online.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may be able to get a small decrease in premiums.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags can receive discounts as much as 30%.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying insurance on a new vehicle can save up to 30% since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Early Signing – A few insurance companies allow discounts for buying a new policy before your current expiration date. It could save around 10% when you buy Houston car insurance online.
- Distant College Student Discount – Any of your kids who are attending college without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
Please keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it appears you could get a free insurance policy, it’s just not the way it works.
If you would like to see a list of insurance companies with the best discounts in Texas, click here.
You may need advice from an agent
Some consumers just want to talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision Experienced insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to participating agents in Houston who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered to you. If for some reason you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, you just need to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Picking the best insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- How are they compensated?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- How long have they been in business?
Is an exclusive or independent car insurance agent right for you?
When narrowing the list to find a reputable agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Houston are classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both can properly insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand the difference in the companies they write for since it can impact which agent you choose.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with such as Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
Below are exclusive agencies in Houston that can give you comparison quotes.
Allstate Insurance: Harris County Insurance Agency
13030 Woodforest Blvd b – Houston, TX 77015 – (713) 451-5716 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents often have affiliation with several companies and that enables them to quote your coverage with lots of companies and get you the best rates possible. If your agent finds better pricing, your policy is moved internally and that require little work on your part. When shopping rates, we highly recommend that you compare prices from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
The following is a list of independent insurance agents in Houston that are able to give comparison quotes.
After talking to the agent and getting positive responses to any questions you have and cheap Sequoia insurance quotes, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that can service your policy.
Will just any policy work for me?
When quoting and choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
If you can’t answer these questions, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Lower-priced Toyota Sequoia insurance in Houston can be purchased both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide rates over the internet and most of the time these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including poor customer service, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, not issuing a premium refund or even delays in responding to claim requests. No matter why you want to switch, switching insurance companies is easier than you think.
While you’re price shopping online, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that they should have had better coverage. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
To read more, feel free to browse these articles:
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Good Drivers in Houston? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for 19 Year Olds in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male in Houston? (FAQ)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)