Trying to come up with a payment for pricey car insurance can deplete your bank account and force you to make sacrifices. Comparing cost estimates is free, only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to tighten up your finances.
Unimaginable but true, over 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. Texas insurance shoppers could save themselves almost 70% a year by just comparing quotes, but they just feel it’s too hard to save money by comparing rate quotes. Popular companies such as State Farm, Farmers Insurance, GEICO and Allstate continually bombard you with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to ignore the propaganda and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Consumers need to compare prices quite often due to the fact that insurance rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you got the lowest premium rates on Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance in Houston six months ago there is a good chance you can find better prices now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn the quickest way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
You may qualify for discounts for Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance in Houston
Car insurance is expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that many people don’t even know exist. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some must be asked about before being credited.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can save substantially when compared with drivers who are more careless.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Houston car insurance with certain companies.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance and insure them both with the same insurance company you could save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Life Insurance – Car insurance companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy life insurance.
Remember that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business. But any discount should definitely cut your policy premiums.
Large car insurance companies and the discounts they provide can be read below.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, online quote discount, online signing, good student, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and homeowner.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for mature driver, youthful driver, switch companies, bundle discounts, alternative fuel, teen driver, and multi-car.
- Farm Bureau policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, driver training, 55 and retired, renewal discount, and youthful driver.
- State Farm discounts include multiple policy, good student, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, student away at school, multiple autos, and Drive Safe & Save.
- GEICO may offer discounts for emergency military deployment, anti-theft, seat belt use, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, good student, and driver training.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for homeowner, drive less, bundle discounts, multi-car, teen safe driver, anti-theft, and teen safety rewards.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include multi-car, newly married, preferred payment discount, good student, and new graduate.
If you want inexpensive Houston car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts you qualify for. All car insurance discounts may not be available in your state. To see a list of insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Houston, follow this link.
Lowering your insurance rates is not rocket science. All that’s required is to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rate quotes to find the company with affordable Houston car insurance quotes.
Doing online rates comparisons is so easy that it makes it a waste of time to spend your day driving to local Houston insurance agencies. Shopping for insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you prefer the professional advice that only an agent can give. If you prefer, some companies allow you to comparison shop your insurance online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The companies shown below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Your auto insurance coverage should be tailored to you
Always keep in mind that when comparing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. You are unique so this has to be addressed.
These are some specific questions might help in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Is my custom paint covered by insurance?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Texas?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- How do I buy GAP insurance?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Buying from insurance agents
Some people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Professional insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and will help you if you have claims. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find lower prices and still have an agent to talk to. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Houston.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is emailed to local insurance agents who can give free rate quotes to get your business. You won’t need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, you just need to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
What types of car insurance agents are in Houston?
If you want a reliable insurance agency, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they can service your needs differently. Car insurance agents in Houston can either be independent or exclusive. Either type can write car insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the differences since it can impact which agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents do not have single company limitations and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, your policy is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies. When shopping rates, it’s recommended you include price quotes from at least one independent agent to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Houston that can possibly get you price quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies work for only one company like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are not able to provide other company’s prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agencies in Houston that can give you rate quotes.
Choosing the best insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Which family members are covered?
- How often do they review coverages?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Houston?
After receiving answers to your satisfaction to any questions you may have as well as an affordable premium quote, it’s a good possibility that you have found an insurance agency that can be trusted to properly insure your vehicles. Just keep in mind it’s your coverage and you can cancel coverage at any point so don’t assume that you are obligated to any specific company with no way out.
Car insurance coverages explained
Knowing the specifics of car insurance aids in choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are the normal coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for bills for things like X-ray expenses, doctor visits, surgery, pain medications and prosthetic devices. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover all vehicle occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Collision – This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like hitting a parking meter, backing into a parked car, damaging your car on a curb, colliding with a tree and colliding with another moving vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your i-MiEV to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your Mitsubishi i-MiEV.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Comprehensive coverage – Comprehensive insurance covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like damage from flooding, fire damage, damage from getting keyed and hitting a bird. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Auto liability – This will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property that is your fault. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 30/60/25 that means you have a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for things such as funeral expenses, pain and suffering, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, structural damage and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Texas state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
Do the work, save more money
Throughout this article, we presented many ways to compare Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance premium rates in Houston. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Houston car insurance, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the lowest premium rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
There are still a few companies who do not provide rates over the internet and usually these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents. Affordable Mitsubishi i-MiEV insurance in Houston is available on the web and also from your neighborhood Houston agents, so you need to compare both so you have a total pricing picture.
As you prepare to switch companies, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, drivers have reduced collision coverage only to find out that they should have had better coverage. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional detailed information is available at these sites:
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Learners Permit in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for 4×4 Vehicles in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Teenage Males in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a School Permit in Houston? (FAQ)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)