Are you researching the cheapest insurance rates in Houston, TX? Houston buyers have lots of choices when searching for the best price on Volkswagen Beetle insurance. You can either spend your time driving around to compare prices or save time using the internet to find the lowest rates.
There are more efficient ways to find insurance online so we’re going to tell you the absolute fastest way to price shop coverage for your Volkswagen and locate the lowest possible price from both online companies and Houston agents.
It’s smart to get comparison quotes yearly due to the fact that insurance prices change regularly. Just because you had the lowest price on Volkswagen Beetle insurance in Houston at your last renewal the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. You can find a lot of misleading information regarding Beetle insurance out there, but I’m going to show you some proven techniques to slash your insurance rates in Houston.
If you are insured now or are just looking to switch companies, you can use this information to reduce the price you pay and possibly find even better coverage. Our goal is to let you in on how insurance works and some tips to save money. Drivers just have to understand the fastest way to shop their coverage around using one simple form.
Where can I get the cheapest Houston Volkswagen Beetle insurance?
The providers in the list below offer price quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Beetle S 2-Dr Hatchback
|Beetle 2-Dr Convertible
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go
Data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in specific location information which can impact rates considerably.
One of the more difficult decisions when buying auto insurance is where to set your physical damage deductibles. The following tables lay out the differences in premium rates between high and low policy deductibles. The first data table uses a $250 physical damage coverage deductible and the second price table uses a $500 deductible.
|Beetle S 2-Dr Hatchback
|Beetle 2-Dr Convertible
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go
|Beetle S 2-Dr Hatchback
|Beetle 2-Dr Convertible
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go
Premium data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Premium costs do not factor in specific Houston garaging location which can change auto insurance rates considerably.
Using the premium rates above, we can conclude that using a $250 deductible will cost you about $15 more each month or $180 annually than requesting the higher $500 deductible. Because you would pay $250 more if you turn in a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $250 deductible, if you tend to have more than 17 months between claim filings, you would save money if you opt for a higher deductible.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The diagram below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Beetle insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The price estimates are based on no accidents or driving violations, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying full coverage
There isn’t a written rule that works best for making the decision to drop full coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your Volkswagen Beetle settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $600 annually for physical damage coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not a good plan. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Why you need insurance for your Beetle
Despite the high cost, insurance is required in Texas but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Volkswagen, more than likely the lender will force you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects your Volkswagen Beetle and your assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Volkswagen gets damaged, your auto insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially for larger claims. Unknowingly, the average driver overpays as much as $810 a year so we recommend shopping around once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Houston auto insurance discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list all possible discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list a few of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts that may be available. If you don’t get every credit available, you could be paying more than you need to.
- E-sign – Some companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- No Claim Discounts – Claim-free drivers can save substantially when compared with bad drivers.
- Membership in Organizations – Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Houston could earn you a nice discount on your next renewal.
- Homeowners Savings – Just being a homeowner can earn you a little savings because maintaining a house means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying a new car model may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some companies provide a discount for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current Beetle insurance policy. This can save 10% or more.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers that enable their auto insurance company to study driving habits remotely such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could save a few bucks if they have good driving habits.
- Mature Driver Discount – Mature drivers could receive a discount up to 10%.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Select insurance carriers reward you with better auto insurance rates if you take out life insurance.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety could earn you a small percentage discount if you qualify.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. But all discounts will bring down the cost of your policy.
If you would like to view companies that offer multiple discounts in Houston, click here.
Auto insurance agents are professional risk managers
Certain consumers would prefer to talk to an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and help you file claims. A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap auto insurance rates and still buy from a local agent. Buying from and supporting local insurance agents is definitely important in Houston.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to you directly. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
If you want to use a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures and how they can quote your rates. Auto insurance agents may be either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both can write auto insurance policies, but it’s important to know the difference in how they write coverage because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents do not have single company limitations so they can write business with multiple insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If your premiums go up, they simply switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part.
When comparing auto insurance prices, you will want to compare quotes from a few independent agents to get the best comparison. A lot of them also have access to lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Featured below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Houston who can help you get cheap rate quotes.
- Moon Insurance Agency
360 FM 1959 – Houston, TX 77034 – (281) 484-8320 – View Map
- Gem Insurance Agencies
3355 W Alabama St #850 – Houston, TX 77098 – (713) 622-2330 – View Map
- Allrisc Insurance Agency
6918 Corporate Dr – Houston, TX 77036 – (713) 771-6000 – View Map
Exclusive agencies can only provide pricing for a single company such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Drivers often purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to the prominence of the brand and solid financial strength.
Listed below are exclusive agents in Houston that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Ricky Maique – State Farm Insurance Agent
8811 Westheimer Rd #205 – Houston, TX 77063 – (713) 781-6132 – View Map
- Brandon Herndon – State Farm Insurance Agent
10103 Fondren Rd #150 – Houston, TX 77096 – (832) 431-4222 – View Map
- Felicia Boudreaux – State Farm Insurance Agent
14901 TX-249 #105 – Houston, TX 77086 – (713) 464-2077 – View Map
Selecting a insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a low price. Any agent in Houston should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Texas?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Does their agency support local causes in Houston?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
Car insurance coverages for a Volkswagen Beetle
Learning about specific coverages of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need for your vehicles. Auto insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Insurance for medical payments – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses such as funeral costs, EMT expenses, ambulance fees, doctor visits and surgery. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. They cover you and your occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage – Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Beetle resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things such as crashing into a building, scraping a guard rail and backing into a parked car. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. You can also increase the deductible on your Beetle in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like fire damage, falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane, theft and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family and damage to your Volkswagen Beetle.
Since many Texas drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (30/60/25 in Texas), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally these limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Liability coverages – Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people that is your fault. This coverage protects you from claims by other people, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 30/60/25 which stand for $30,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers things like repair costs for stationary objects, court costs, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical services and bail bonds. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible. Texas requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
How much can you save?
When you buy Houston car insurance online, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Consumers leave their current company for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, unfair underwriting practices, delays in paying claims or an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is less work than it seems.
We’ve covered some good ideas how you can find lower-cost Volkswagen Beetle insurance in Houston. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers could even find that the best price on insurance is with some of the smallest insurance companies.
For more information, link through to the articles below:
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Honda Accord in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Welfare Recipients in Houston? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Teachers in Houston? (FAQ)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)