Are you at wits end from robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy auto insurance? You are in the same boat as many other Texas consumers.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of Texas auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never taken the time to shop around. Drivers in the U.S. could save an average of nearly 47% each year just by comparing rates, but they feel it’s too difficult to compare rates online.
Big-name insurance companies like GEICO, Progressive and Allstate increase brand awareness with TV and radio ads and consumers find it hard to sift through the bull and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Smart consumers take time to take a look at other company’s rates as often as possible since insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the lowest rates on Audi RS7 insurance in Houston two years ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Don’t believe everything you read about RS7 insurance online, but we’re going to give you some proven techniques to stop overpaying for insurance in Houston.
If you currently have insurance, you will definitely be able to buy cheaper insurance using these tips. Finding the cheapest coverage in Houston can be made easier if you know where to look. But Texas consumers do need to know how the larger insurance companies determine how much to charge.
Save money with these nine discounts
Some insurers don’t always list all their discounts very well, so we break down some of the best known as well as the least known credits that may apply to you.
- Active Military Service – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Driver Safety – Passing a course that instructs on driving safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles could earn slightly better rates than normal.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Distant College Student Discount – Youth drivers who are attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Employee of Federal Government – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may reduce rates when you quote Houston car insurance with a few auto insurance companies.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Renewal Discounts – Some companies reward drivers for switching policies early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Accident Waiver – Not really a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before your rates go up as long as you don’t have any claims for a set time period.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck.
Popular auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts can be read below.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-policy, online signing, continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, and homeowner.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for electronic funds transfer, business and professional, pay in full, switch companies, teen driver, youthful driver, and multi-car.
- Farm Bureau discounts include renewal discount, youthful driver, good student, driver training, multi-vehicle, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good student, defensive driving training, Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver’s education, accident-free, and student away at school.
- GEICO has discounts for emergency military deployment, anti-theft, five-year accident-free, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, air bags, and defensive driver.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including teen safe driver, bundle discounts, anti-theft, teen safety rewards, homeowner, accident prevention training, and multi-car.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for multi-policy, new graduate, safety features, multi-car, new vehicle discount, newly retired, and teen driver discount.
Before buying, ask every insurance company which credits you are entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in Houston.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing more rates from different companies will increase your chances of finding better pricing.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Houston, TX. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Which is the best car insurance?
When choosing the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Your financial needs are unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- What is the minimum liability in Texas?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- How much cheaper are high deductibles?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Insurance agents can find coverage gaps
Many drivers just prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still have a local agent. Buying from local insurance agents is definitely important in Houston.
Once you complete this short form, your information is emailed to insurance agents in Houston who will return price quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. It’s the lowest rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Independent or Exclusive: It’s your choice
If you would like to find a local agent, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agents in Houston can be classified as either exclusive or independent.
Agents that elect to be independent are appointed with more than one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured.
If you are comparing insurance prices, it’s a good idea to check rates from at a minimum one independent agency so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Houston that may be able to give comparison quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel normally can only provide a single company’s rates such as State Farm or Allstate. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on what they offer which helps them compete with independent agents.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Houston that are able to give price quote information.
Allstate Insurance: Harris County Insurance Agency
13030 Woodforest Blvd b – Houston, TX 77015 – (713) 451-5716 – View Map
Choosing a car insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. You should also get answers to these questions.
- How many years have they been established?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Does the agent help file claims?
Choosing the best vehicle insurance in Texas is an important decision
Despite the high cost, insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Audi RS7, more than likely the lender will require you to have physical damage coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Audi at a more expensive rate and make you pay the higher premium.
- Insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $850 per year so you should quote rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Auto insurance coverage basics
Knowing the specifics of your policy can be of help when determining the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement.
This covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like a broken windshield, damage from getting keyed and rock chips in glass. The most a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against things like colliding with a tree, hitting a mailbox, crashing into a building and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible on your RS7 to bring the cost down.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for bills for things like X-ray expenses, prosthetic devices and surgery. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover you and your occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This coverage provides protection when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your Audi RS7.
Due to the fact that many Texas drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (30/60/25 in Texas), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liability limits.
This coverage provides protection from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people that is your fault. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 30/60/25 which means $30,000 bodily injury coverage, $60,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is a combined single limit or CSL that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for claims like funeral expenses, court costs, loss of income, bail bonds and medical services. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Texas state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
In the end, you can save money
Cheap Audi RS7 insurance in Houston is possible on the web in addition to many Houston insurance agents, so get free Houston car insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies don’t offer internet price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through local independent agencies.
Drivers switch companies for a number of reasons such as not issuing a premium refund, extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in paying claims and even policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching car insurance companies can be easier than you think.
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to regret at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price.
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Uninsured Drivers in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Houston Auto Insurance for a Nissan Altima? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for High School Students in Houston? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)