Nobody likes having to buy insurance, in particular when they could get a better deal.
Unimaginable but true, nearly 70% of Texas drivers have bought insurance from the same company for four years or more, and nearly half have never compared rates with other companies. Many drivers in the U.S. could save as much as $850 a year just by comparing rates, but they think it’s difficult to compare rate quotes. Insurance companies such as Progressive, State Farm and GEICO promote their brand names with fancy advertisements and it is challenging if not impossible to sift through the bull and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is actually easier than you may think. The only requirement is to invest a few minutes comparing rate quotes provided by online insurance companies.
It’s so easy to compare price quotes online that it takes the place of having to go to insurance agents’ offices. Quoting Hummer H2 SUT insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the personal advice that only a licensed agent can provide. However, consumers can get the lowest quotes online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most affordable rates.
Cheaper rates on Hummer H2 SUT insurance in Houston with these six discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but companies offer discounts to help offset the cost. A few discounts will be applied at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically in order for you to get them.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles on your Hummer may allow you to get lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military can result in better rates.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This isn’t a discount exactly, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm will let one accident slide before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers over the age of 55 can get a small discount on rates.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Having multiple cars or trucks with the same auto insurance company qualifies for this discount.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Car insurance companies that may have most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
When quoting, ask each company which discounts they offer. A few discounts might not be offered in Houston. To see companies who offer cheap Hummer H2 SUT insurance quotes in Houston, click here.
When to get advice from an insurance agency
Some people just want to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and will help you if you have claims. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheaper prices but also keep your business local. And providing support for local agents is especially important in Houston.
By using this form (opens in new window), your coverage information gets sent to companies in Houston that can give you free Houston car insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no reason to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. If you need to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you would need to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you want to use a local insurance agency, there are two different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Auto insurance agents are categorized either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either one can handle auto insurance, but it’s a good idea to understand why they differ because it can influence which agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not restricted to one company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to switch agencies. When comparing auto insurance prices, it’s a good idea to include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
Shown below are Houston independent agencies who may be able to give you cheap rate quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel generally can only insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are well schooled on the products they sell and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below are Houston exclusive agents that can give you comparison quotes.
Lucrecia Jasminoy – State Farm Insurance Agent
223 Cavalcade St – Houston, TX 77009 – (713) 884-1442 – View Map
Picking the best auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Which family members are covered?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Hummer H2 SUT in Houston, car insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Hummer, most banks will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Hummer at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves your car and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your H2 SUT are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average American driver overpays as much as $830 a year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Insurance coverages 101
Learning about specific coverages of your insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. These are the normal coverages found on the average insurance policy.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things like crashing into a building, scraping a guard rail, backing into a parked car and driving through your garage door. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your H2 SUT to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for liability
Liability coverage provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 30/60/25 which means a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for claims such as legal defense fees, structural damage, pain and suffering, loss of income and repair costs for stationary objects. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Texas state law requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for short-term medical expenses like prosthetic devices, hospital visits and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover you and your occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Hummer H2 SUT.
Since many Texas drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Texas limits are 30/60/25), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed, hitting a bird, damage from a tornado or hurricane and vandalism. The highest amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
Do the work, save more money
As you shop your coverage around, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at the best price.
In this article, we presented many tips how you can lower your Hummer H2 SUT insurance auto insurance rates in Houston. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from a small local company. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
More detailed car insurance information is available in these articles:
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Learners Permit in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Houston Car Insurance Rates for a Ford F-150? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Electric Cars in Houston? (FAQ)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)