Did budget coverage turn out to be an overpriced auto insurance policy? It’s quite common and there are many Houston drivers thinking the same thing.
It’s hard to fathom, but the vast majority of consumers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for well over three years, and nearly half have never shopped around. Many drivers in Texas could save as much as $1,800 every year just by comparing rates, but most undervalue how much money they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
You have multiple insurers to insure vehicles with, and although it’s nice to have a choice, it can be more difficult to compare rates and find the lowest cost auto insurance.
You should make it a habit to compare rates at least once a year because insurance prices are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the best price on Toyota Land Cruiser insurance in Houston six months ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. You can find a lot of wrong information about Land Cruiser insurance out there, but you can learn the best ways to lower your auto insurance rates in Houston.
Reduce your car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance is not inexpensive, but you may find discounts to reduce the price significantly. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but occasionally some discounts must be inquired about before they will apply.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance with the same insurance company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles can earn slightly better premium rates than normal.
- Multi-line Discount – Select companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your car insurance provider.
- Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Claim Free – Good drivers with no accidents pay less when compared with drivers who are more careless.
You can save money using discounts, but most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount should help lower your premiums.
To find insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Texas, click here to view.
When shopping for Toyota Land Cruiser insurance in Houston there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes from all the different companies. The best method to find affordable insurance rates is simply to get online rate quotes.
Comparing free rates online is easy and it, replaces the need to waste gas driving to local insurance agencies. The ability to get quotes online makes this process obsolete unless you’re the type of person who wants the advice and guidance that only a licensed agent can provide. Some companies do allow you to compare the best prices online and get advice from an agent in your area.
When comparing auto insurance rates, know that comparing all the rates in your area provides better odds of finding better pricing. Some smaller insurers do not give online rate quotes, so it’s important to also get price estimates from them as well.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Texas. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to find the lowest rates.
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go
Data rating is based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in specific zip code location which can lower or raise rates greatly.
Liability only or full coverage
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Toyota Land Cruiser insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The premiums assume no violations or accidents, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no exact formula for excluding full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is about 10% or more of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Toyota Land Cruiser replacement cost is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premiums are more than $600 annually for physical damage coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where only buying liability is not in your best interest. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage.
Comparison of auto insurance rates by age and gender in Houston
The diagram below compares Toyota Land Cruiser insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on a clean driving record, no claims, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Smart Consumers Know How to Quote Insurance Cheaper
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that are used to determine your policy premiums. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower insurance prices. Many factors are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other criteria are more obscure like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
The items below are some of the most rate-impacting factors companies use to determine your rates.
Obey driving laws and save – A bad driving record can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Getting just one moving violation can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Good drivers get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have received careless violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions might be required by their state to complete a SR-22 with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive.
Is your car built for speed? – The type of vehicle you need to insure makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Since the Toyota Land Cruiser is considered a standard SUV, insurance will be slightly more than the average rate where you live in Houston. Small economy passenger models generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Are you male or female? – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Both sexes get in accidents in similar percentages, but the men tend to have higher claims. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers generally have the highest accident percentage and are penalized with high insurance rates.
Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more miles you rack up on your Toyota in a year’s time the more it will cost to insure it. Many insurance companies calculate prices based upon how much you drive. Cars that do not get driven very much can be on a lower rate level than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Double check that your insurance policy states the correct driver usage. Improper usage on your Land Cruiser is throwing money out the window.
Your occupation may affect rates – Occupations such as military personnel, air traffic controllers, and dentists tend to have higher premiums than the average policyholder in part from high stress levels and long work days. Other professions such as professors, historians and homemakers receive lower rates.
Lower rates for married couples – Your spouse may save some money on your policy. Having a significant other is viewed as being more mature and insurance companies like that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
Increase physical damage deductibles to save – Physical damage protection, also called ‘full coverage’, covers your vehicle from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply could be a broken windshield, vandalism, and damage caused by flying debris. Deductibles for physical damage define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. The more money you’re willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
Toyota Land Cruiser statistical loss data – Car insurance companies analyze historical claim data when they file their rates in each state. Models that the data shows to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have higher rates. The table below illustrates the collected loss data for Toyota Land Cruiser vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is a value of 100. Percentage values below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate more frequent losses or larger claims.
Toyota Land Cruiser Insurance Loss Statistics
|Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr 4WD
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When choosing insurance from an agent or online, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. You are unique.
For instance, these questions might help in determining whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- When should I drop full coverage on my Toyota Land Cruiser?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- Should I rate my vehicle as business use?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Can’t I compare rates from local Houston auto insurance agents?
Some consumers prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is a smart decision One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area that can give you free Houston auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. You can get cheaper car insurance rates AND a local agent. If you wish to quote rates from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an insurance company should include more criteria than just the price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Texas?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
Three reasons auto insurance is important
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Houston, buying auto insurance is mandatory in Texas but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires specific limits of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Toyota has a loan, most lenders will require you to buy insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Toyota for a much higher rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your Toyota Land Cruiser. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your Toyota as the result of the weather or an accident, your auto insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in Texas is overpaying more than $865 each year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Compare. Compare. Compare.
We just presented some good ideas how you can find cheaper Toyota Land Cruiser insurance in Houston. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. Drivers may even discover the best rates are with the smaller companies.
There are still a few companies who do not provide the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers sell through independent insurance agents. The cheapest Toyota Land Cruiser insurance in Houston is possible online and also from your neighborhood Houston agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, unfair underwriting practices, poor customer service or even questionable increases in premium. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
More information can be read on the following sites:
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Inexperienced Drivers in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Houston Car Insurance for Single Moms? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 16 Year Olds in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for College Graduates in Houston? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Retired Military in Houston? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for High School Students in Houston? (FAQ)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)