Would you like to buy lower-priced Hummer H2 insurance in Houston? Have you had enough of scraping nickels together to pay your insurance bill each month? You are no different than most other vehicle owners in Texas.
Remarkably, a study showed that the vast majority of drivers kept their policy with the same company for well over three years, and about 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. With the average insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could save themselves 46.5% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they won’t spend time to compare other rate quotes. Companies like GEICO, 21st Century and Progressive constantly blast consumers with catchy ads and consumers find it hard to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It is always a good idea to check insurance prices on a regular basis due to the fact that insurance prices trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the best rates on Hummer H2 insurance in Houston last year there is a good chance you can find better premium rates now. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because you’re about to learn the best way to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Buy Houston Hummer H2 insurance online
Finding a better price on auto insurance can be surprisingly simple. The only requirement is to take time comparing free Houston car insurance quotes provided by online insurance companies.
Comparison shopping price quotes online is easy and it replaces the need to waste gas driving to and from local Houston insurance agencies. The internet reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you’re the type of person who wants the guidance of a licensed agent. Some companies do allow you to find lower rates online but buy the policy through an agent.
The providers in the list below offer price comparisons in Texas. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Companies offer lots of discounts on Hummer H2 insurance in Houston
Some insurers don’t list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you may qualify for. If you are not receiving all the discounts available, you may be paying too high a price.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few insurance companies give discounts for signing up prior to the expiration date on your current H2 insurance policy. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one is not really a discount per se, but certain companies may permit one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free before the accident.
- Early Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time as opposed to paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Passing a driver safety class could earn you a small percentage discount and make you a better driver.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts could save 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
One last thing about discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that it’s possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
Some of the larger companies that may offer these money-saving discounts include:
If you are trying to find cheaper Houston car insurance quotes, ask all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply in your state. To see insurers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Houston, click this link.
Compare rates but work with a local neighborhood Houston car insurance agent
Certain consumers still like to buy from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision Good agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. A nice benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get better rates and still have a local agent. Buying from and supporting local agencies is important especially in Houston.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Houston that give free quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to contact any agents because prices are sent to your email. If you need to get a price quote from one company in particular, just go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Compare rates from both independent and exclusive car insurance agents
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reliable insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures that you can choose from. Agents are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents. Both types can sell auto insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the subtle differences because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents are normally appointed by many insurers so as a result can place your coverage through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If you want to switch companies, an independent agent can move your coverage without you having to go to a different agency. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you need to include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from.
Below is a partial list of independent agents in Houston that may be able to give you comparison quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive write business for a single company such as American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they really need to provide good service. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in Houston that are able to give price quote information.
Finding the right insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- How many years have they been established?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
Different people need different insurance coverages
When choosing insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there really isn’t a one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique and your policy should reflect that.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Hummer H2?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Houston?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- What exactly is covered by my policy?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Why you need vehicle insurance in Texas
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is required by state law in Texas and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your H2, almost all lenders will require you to buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Hummer at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. It will also cover most medical and hospital costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Hummer as the result of the weather or an accident, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in America overpays as much as $700 annually so it’s important to compare rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Auto insurance coverage information
Having a good grasp of insurance can be of help when determining the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring. Below you’ll find typical coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, fire damage, a broken windshield and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Hummer H2.
Since many Texas drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (30/60/25 in Texas), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Most of the time the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things like damaging your car on a curb, driving through your garage door and crashing into a ditch. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible on your H2 to get cheaper collision coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for EMT expenses, surgery and prosthetic devices. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers you and your occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Liability coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property that is your fault. It protects you from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show values of 30/60/25 that means you have $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and property damage coverage for $25,000. Another option is a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability can pay for claims such as emergency aid, attorney fees, repair costs for stationary objects and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Texas state law requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Do the work, save more money
When shopping online for auto insurance, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that it was a big error on their part. The goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
Cheaper auto insurance in Houston is possible online and from local agencies, so you need to shop Houston car insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. There are still a few companies who do not provide price quotes online and usually these small insurance companies sell through independent insurance agents.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at these sites:
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Nurses in Houston? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Highlander in Houston? (FAQ)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)