Do you think you bought an underperforming, overpriced insurance policy? Believe me, many Houston drivers feel the same as you.
Unthinkable but true, over 70% of consumers have bought insurance from the same company for four years or more, and approximately 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Texas drivers could save an average of approximately $1,770 each year just by comparing rates, but they just don’t understand the amount of savings they would get if they switched.
There are many auto insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have a selection, it can be more challenging to find a good deal for Ford Five Hundred insurance in Houston.
You need to do price comparisons on a regular basis because insurance prices trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the lowest price on Ford Five Hundred insurance in Houston a couple years back there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because we’re going to show you the only way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Buying the cheapest insurance in Houston is really not that difficult. If you have a current insurance policy, you will surely be able to find better prices using the concepts covered in this article. Although Texas drivers can benefit by having an understanding of the way companies compete online because it varies considerably.
Compare free Houston Ford Five Hundred insurance quotes
When comparing car insurance rates, know that more quotes increases your odds of finding a better price. Some companies don’t provide price estimates online, so you need to compare rates from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in Texas. If the list has multiple companies, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why you need Five Hundred insurance in Texas
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Ford Five Hundred in Houston, insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Five Hundred, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Ford for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. An average driver in America is wasting up to $700 annually so you should quote your policy with other companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Discounts can help lower rates on Ford Five Hundred insurance in Houston
Some insurance providers don’t necessarily list all discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious auto insurance savings.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident before your rates go up as long as you don’t have any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Sign Online – Some insurance companies will give a small break for signing up on their website.
- Memberships – Having an affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Houston could trigger savings on your bill.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a vehicle that is new can get you a discount because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Seat Belts Save – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to fasten their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child complete a driver education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring primary and secondary vehicles with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- Claim-Free Discount – Good drivers with no accidents pay less when compared to bad drivers.
Remember that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your policy premium.
Car insurance companies that may offer quotes with these money-saving discounts are:
Before you buy a policy, ask each company or agent how many discounts you can get. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered everywhere. To see insurance companies with the best discounts in Texas, follow this link.
Exclusive and independent auto insurance agents
Many drivers still like to buy from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still buy from a local agent.
Upon completion of this quick form, your information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Houston who want to provide quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to drive around due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a particular provider, just navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an company should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Any agent in Houston should have no problem answering these questions:
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Is there a local claims center in Houston?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When buying coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- What happens if I owe more than my Ford Five Hundred is worth?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
Auto insurance coverage information
Knowing the specifics of a insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find typical coverages available from insurance companies.
Collision coverage – This covers damage to your Five Hundred resulting from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things like scraping a guard rail, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a building. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible on your Five Hundred to bring the cost down.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – This gives you protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Ford Five Hundred.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Texas limits are 30/60/25), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
Auto liability – This coverage protects you from damage or injury you incur to people or other property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others. Liability doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see values of 30/60/25 which stand for $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for things such as bail bonds, court costs and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible. Texas requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
Medical expense coverage – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for expenses such as nursing services, hospital visits, funeral costs, dental work and doctor visits. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive protection – Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like a tree branch falling on your vehicle, fire damage, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from getting keyed. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Compare auto insurance rates regularly to save
Throughout this article, we presented many tips how you can save on Ford Five Hundred insurance in Houston. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
When shopping online for auto insurance, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, an insured dropped physical damage coverage only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.
For more information, feel free to browse these articles:
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for 18 Year Olds in Houston? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Houston? (FAQ)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)