How long has it been since you sat down and looked for the cheapest Dodge Durango insurance in Houston? Finding cheap premium rates for Dodge Durango insurance in Houston might be very difficult for people who are new to quoting coverage prices online. With such a large number of online companies available, it can easily turn into more work than you anticipated to locate the lowest price in Texas.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of auto insurance customers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never shopped around. Many consumers in Texas can save 70% each year, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they switched.
It is always a good idea to do rate comparisons periodically because prices tend to go up over time. Just because you found the best deal on Dodge Durango insurance in Houston at your last renewal the chances are good that you can find a lower rate quote today. There is a lot of wrong information about Durango insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn the easiest ways to reduce your auto insurance bill.
Buying the cheapest auto insurance in Houston is quite easy. If you are already insured, you will surely be able to lower your rates using the techniques covered below. But Texas car owners do need to understand the way insurance companies calculate their prices.
Slash rates with these eight rate reducing discounts
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you can get discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some trigger automatically at quote time, but once in a while a discount must be inquired about prior to getting the savings. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Renewal Discounts – A few companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current Durango insurance policy expiration. You may see this discount when you get Houston auto insurance quotes online.
- Distant College Student Discount – College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks with one company qualifies for this discount.
- Seat Belts Save – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save up to 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning a home in Houston can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Good Grades Discount – This discount may save you up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
Don’t be surprised that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
A few popular companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- GEICO has discounts for air bags, good student, seat belt use, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, military active duty, and daytime running lights.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including good student, professional/association, accident-free, good driver, and age of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include bundle discounts, early shopping, multi-car, alternative fuel, mature driver, and youthful driver.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may offer discounts for student away at school, group or association, anti-theft, multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, and mature driver.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for hybrid vehicle, new graduate, preferred payment discount, newly married, teen driver discount, safety features, and exclusive group savings.
- SAFECO discounts include drive less, teen safety rewards, homeowner, safe driver, anti-theft, bundle discounts, and multi-car.
- Progressive includes discounts for online quote discount, homeowner, multi-policy, online signing, continuous coverage, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- USAA offers discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, annual mileage, vehicle storage, new vehicle, and good student.
When getting free Houston auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to all the companies how you can save money. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your area. To choose providers with discount auto insurance rates in Texas, click this link.
Just keep in mind that making a lot of price comparisons helps locate more affordable insurance.
The following companies have been selected to offer free quotes in Texas. If more than one company is shown, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When buying your policy, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Every insured’s situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- If my car is totalled with they pay enough to replace it?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Can’t I get rate quotes from local Houston car insurance agents?
Some people just prefer to talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision One of the benefits of comparing insurance online is you may find the best rates and still choose a local agent.
After completing this quick form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Houston who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered to you directly. You can find lower rates without a big time investment. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, you can always jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Finding a good insurance company should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. Get answers to these questions too.
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
Car insurance in Texas serves several purposes
Despite the high insurance cost for a Dodge Durango in Houston, paying for car insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Dodge Durango has a lien holder, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Dodge at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your Dodge Durango and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If your Dodge gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your Durango outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. On average, a vehicle owner in Houston overpays more than $810 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Auto insurance policy specifics
Learning about specific coverages of your auto insurance policy can help you determine which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find the usual coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Medical expense coverage – Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for expenses such as funeral costs, surgery, hospital visits, nursing services and chiropractic care. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. They cover you and your occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your Dodge Durango.
Due to the fact that many Texas drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (30/60/25 in Texas), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
Comprehensive protection – This coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed, hitting a deer, rock chips in glass and theft. The maximum payout you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision – Collision coverage pays for damage to your Durango caused by collision with another car or object. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like sustaining damage from a pot hole, backing into a parked car, scraping a guard rail and damaging your car on a curb. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also raise the deductible on your Durango to get cheaper collision coverage.
Auto liability insurance – This can cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people that is your fault. It protects YOU against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 30/60/25 that translate to a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a total of $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers claims like attorney fees, pain and suffering and loss of income. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is your choice, but buy as much as you can afford. Texas state law requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
Find cheap rates by being thorough
A few companies may not have internet price quotes and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent agents. Budget-conscious Dodge Durango insurance can be found on the web as well as from independent agents in Houston, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
We’ve covered many tips how you can shop for Dodge Durango insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting low cost Houston auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the lowest car insurance rates are with the least-expected company. They may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
Helpful learning opportunities
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for 18 Year Olds in Houston? (FAQ)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)