Looking for more competitive insurance rates in Sugar Land, TX? Scraping up a payment for expensive insurance in Sugar Land can bleed your funds and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Price shopping at each renewal is a fast and free way to make sure you’re not throwing money away.
Inconceivable but true, 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for over three years, and nearly half have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. The average driver in Texas could save $1,770 every year by just shopping around, but they assume it’s a waste of time to go online and compare rates.
Lots of car insurance companies contend for your business, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurers to discover the definitive lowest rate on insurance.
You should take the time to get comparison quotes at least once a year since rates change frequently. Just because you found the best deal on insurance last year there may be better deals available now. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because we’re going to show you the right way to save on insurance.
If you have insurance now, you will surely be able to lower your rates using these tips. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Sugar Land is really quite easy. But Texas vehicle owners must understand how companies charge you for coverage because it can help you find the best coverage.
Most major insurance companies allow you to get insurance quotes on the web. Getting online quotes doesn’t take much effort because you just enter your personal and coverage information into the form. Once entered, their system automatically retrieves information on your driving record and credit history and provides a quote based on many factors. Quoting online makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it’s necessary to get many rate quotes in order to get a lower rate.
To find out what other companies charge, compare rates from the companies below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you enter your coverages identical to your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you’re receiving rate comparison quotes based on the exact same insurance coverage.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price quotes in Sugar Land, TX. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LTZ||$952||$476||$79|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$1,034||$517||$86|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Hero||$988||$494||$82|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$1,180||$590||$98|
|Ford Edge SEL 2WD||$1,116||$558||$93|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$1,064||$532||$89|
|Ford Explorer XLT 4WD||$1,220||$610||$102|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 2WD||$1,080||$540||$90|
|Ford Focus SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,336||$668||$111|
|Ford Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,442||$721||$120|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$1,158||$579||$97|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,462||$731||$122|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$1,116||$558||$93|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,114||$557||$93|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4WD 4-Dr||$1,584||$792||$132|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,512||$756||$126|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$1,436||$718||$120|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Rates do not factor in specific location which can influence premium rates greatly.
Liability only or full coverage
The information below examines Chevrolet Silverado annual premium costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premium estimates are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, married female driver, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There is no definitive guideline to drop physical damage insurance, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Chevrolet Silverado replacement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company will settle for is $3,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If premium cost is more than $300 annually for full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where only buying liability is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage.
Auto insurance rates by gender and age in Sugar Land
The example below shows the difference between auto insurance costs for male and female drivers in Sugar Land. The rates are based on no violations or accidents, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no additional discounts are factored in on a Ford Escape XLS.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Affordable rates on auto insurance with these discounts
Some insurers don’t list all available discounts very well, so the list below details some of the more common as well as the least known auto insurance savings.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds who allow driving data collection to analyze when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could possibly reduce rates if their driving habits are good.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a defensive driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Paperless Signup – A few auto insurance companies will give a small break just for signing your application on the web.
- Early Signing – Some companies provide a discount for switching companies before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Multiple Cars – Having multiple vehicles on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Multi-line Discount – Not all insurance carriers offer life insurance, but some may give you better prices if you take out life insurance from them.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify for a discount when you quote Sugar Land car insurance with some auto insurance companies.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down may enable drivers to earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
Just know that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Some companies who may offer many of the previously listed discounts include:
When quoting, ask all the companies what discounts are available to you. Discounts might not be offered everywhere.
Seven tips to get lower Sugar Land auto insurance costs
The best way to find cheaper auto insurance is to take a look at some of the things that help determine your policy premiums. If you know what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that can earn you lower auto insurance prices. Multiple criteria are considered when pricing auto insurance. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, but some are more transparent such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
- Guys are more aggressive – Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. Women and men tend to get into fender benders at a similar rate, but the men have accidents that have higher claims. Men also get more serious tickets such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly. Youthful male drivers generally have the highest accident percentage and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Liability coverage – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage kicks in if you are found liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Low credit rating equals high prices – Having a bad credit score is a large factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit score leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your vehicle by improving your credit score. People with very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with lower credit scores.
- High deductibles lower prices – Your deductibles define how much the insured will be required to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be colliding with a stationary object, damage from fire, or theft of your vehicle. The larger the amount you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Urban areas may pay more – Residing in less populated areas may provide you with better prices when talking about auto insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. Urban drivers tend to have more traffic problems and longer commutes to work. Spending more time driving can result in more accidents.
- Qualify for multi-policy discounts – Some insurers afford discounts for people that purchase more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, you may still want to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal. It’s possible to still save more without the discount by buying from different companies
- Pay less after the wedding – Being married may earn you lower rates when buying auto insurance. Marriage usually means you are more stable financially and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Buying auto insurance from Sugar Land auto insurance agents
Certain consumers would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find cheap rate quotes and still buy from a local agent. And providing support for local agencies is especially important in Sugar Land.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to insurance agents in Sugar Land who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to your email. You can find better rates without a big time investment. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Not all auto insurance agents are the same
If you need to find an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Auto insurance agents can either be independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies so they can insure your vehicles through many different auto insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they find a cheaper price, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below is a partial list of independent agencies in Sugar Land who may provide free rate quotes.
First Colony Inc
13313 Southwest Fwy # 288 – Sugar Land, TX 77478 – (281) 242-6789 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only place business with one company such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. These agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive insurance agents are usually well trained on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Below are exclusive agents in Sugar Land that can give you comparison quotes.
Madeline Myloan Nguyen – State Farm Insurance Agent
3414 Hwy 6 – Sugar Land, TX 77478 – (281) 313-9998 – View Map
Picking the best car insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Texas?
After talking to the agent and getting reasonable responses to any questions you may have and an affordable coverage quote, it’s a good possibility that you have found a car insurance agent that can properly service your auto insurance policy.
Auto insurance can get complicated
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Am I covered if I hit someone who is not insured?
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Texas?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Frequent quotes can save
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Lower-priced car insurance in Sugar Land is definitely available on the web in addition to many Sugar Land insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies don’t offer online quoting and many times these small insurance companies only sell coverage through local independent agents.
Insureds switch companies for many reasons like delays in paying claims, questionable increases in premium, lack of trust in their agent or high prices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching car insurance companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
More detailed car insurance information is available by following these links:
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Houston Car Insurance Quotes for Immigrants? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a School Permit in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50 in Houston? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)