Are you doing reasearch to find low-cost car insurance rates in Houston, TX? Houston shoppers have many options when shopping for the best price on Honda Ridgeline insurance. They can either spend hours struggling with agents to get rate comparisons or utilize the internet to make rate comparisons.
There are both good and bad ways to compare car insurance rates and we’ll show you the best way to price shop coverage for a new or used Honda and obtain the lowest price either online or from Houston insurance agents.
You should make it a habit to compare rates every six months due to the fact that insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates on Honda Ridgeline insurance in Houston last year you will most likely find a better rate quote today. There are a lot of ways to save on Ridgeline insurance out there, but in just a couple of minutes you can learn some of the best techniques to lower your car insurance premiums.
Eight factors that determine insurance rates
A large part of saving on insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that go into determining insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with better insurance rates. Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like your driving record, although some other factors are less obvious like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
The factors shown below are just a few of the factors insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- How much liability protection – The liability coverage on your policy is the coverage that protects you in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Your policy’s liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- Improve your credit history and save – A driver’s credit rating is a big factor in determining what you pay. If your credit is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your Honda Ridgeline by taking the time to improve your credit score. People that have excellent credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than those with bad credit.
- Get hitched and get better rates – Having a significant other can actually save you money on your policy. Having a significant other translates into being more financially stable and statistics prove drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Women tend to be lower risk – Statistics demonstrate females are less aggressive when driving. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Both sexes cause auto accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Not only that, but men also get ticketed for serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI). Male teenagers have the highest risk to insure and therefore pay the highest rates.
- Do you really need roadside assistance? – There are many additional extra coverages that sound like a good idea at the time when buying insurance. Coverages for personal injury protection, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. These may sound like a good investment initially, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
- Never allow your insurance to lapse – Driving any period of time without insurance can get your license suspended and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance coverage expire. In addition to paying higher rates, not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you fines or a revoked license. You may need to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Texas motor vehicle department.
- Theft deterrents save – Buying a car with an alarm system can save you some money. Anti-theft features such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- More policies can equal more savings – Many insurance companies allow discounts to customers who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you already get this discount, drivers will still want to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still save money by buying from different companies
Getting low cost insurance pricing is actually easier than you may think. All that’s required is to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rates to find the company with cheaper Houston auto insurance quotes.
The companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in Houston, TX. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ridgeline RT 4WD||$288||$570||$520||$30||$156||$1,564||$130|
|Ridgeline RTS 4WD||$232||$392||$452||$26||$136||$1,238||$103|
|Ridgeline RTL 4WD||$356||$788||$560||$34||$168||$1,906||$159|
|Ridgeline RTL W/Navigation 4WD||$362||$802||$520||$30||$156||$1,870||$156|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in your specific Houston location which can influence price quotes significantly.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Honda Ridgeline yearly insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The price estimates are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There isn’t a steadfast formula that is best for determining when to drop physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Honda Ridgeline replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $2,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying more than $200 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not a good plan. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not opt for liability only.
Save $471 a year! What?
Consumers in Texas constantly see and hear ads that claim the cheapest prices from companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to state the claim that you can save after switching your auto insurance coverage to their company.
Is it even possible that every company can say the same thing?
Many companies have specific criteria for the type of customer that will add to their bottom line. One example of a profitable insured might be described as a female over age 40, has had continuous coverage, and does not commute to work. Anyone that hits that “sweet spot” will get low car insurance rates and therefore will save a lot of money.
Potential insureds who don’t meet the requirements will probably be forced to pay more expensive rates which leads to business going elsewhere. The ads state “drivers that switch” not “everyone who quotes” can get the lowest rates when switching. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings.
Because of these techniques, you absolutely need to get as many free Houston auto insurance quotes as possible. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest Honda Ridgeline insurance in Houston.
Car insurance does more than just repair your car
Even though it can be expensive, car insurance serves an important purpose.
First, most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your Ridgeline, almost every bank will stipulate that you carry insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your Honda for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
Third, car insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having car insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in America is wasting up to $850 per year so we recommend shopping around every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Save money with these discounts
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there could be significant discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time you complete a quote, but some may not be applied and must be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down on your Honda could earn slightly better premium rates than normal.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class as it can save substantially.
- No Claims – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims get the best auto insurance rates in comparison with frequent claim filers.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This isn’t a discount exactly, but certain companies will let one accident slide without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Auto/Life Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get lower prices if you buy life insurance from them.
As a sidenote, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works. But any discount will positively reduce the cost of coverage.
A list of companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- State Farm has savings for driver’s education, multiple policy, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, and anti-theft.
- American Family offers discounts including TimeAway discount, air bags, accident-free, Steer into Savings, and defensive driver.
- AAA may offer discounts for education and occupation, multi-policy, pay-in-full, multi-car, anti-theft, good driver, and AAA membership discount.
- GEICO includes discounts for emergency military deployment, air bags, good student, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, federal employee, and membership and employees.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for multi-car, ease of repair, age of vehicle, professional/association, accident-free, and type of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for alternative fuel, good student, distant student, electronic funds transfer, multi-car, and teen driver.
- Progressive has discounts for online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, good student, and continuous coverage.
It’s a good idea to ask all the companies which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts might not be offered in Houston. For a list of providers with the best Honda Ridgeline insurance discounts in Houston, click here to view.
Comparing prices from local Houston auto insurance agents
Some people still prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get the best rates and still have a local agent. And providing support for small agencies is important especially in Houston.
By using this simple form, the coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents that can provide free Houston auto insurance quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to do any legwork due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you have a need to compare rates from a particular provider, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
When searching for a local agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Houston are either exclusive or independent. Either can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the difference between them because it may have an impact on your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles with an assortment of companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, they simply switch companies in-house without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection. Most also have access to smaller companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Featured below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Houston who may provide rate quotes.
- Hispano’s Insurance Agency
5420 Chimney Rock Rd – Houston, TX 77081 – (832) 778-8600 – View Map
- Town and Country Insurance Agency – Houston, TX
10575 Katy Fwy # 150 – Houston, TX 77024 – (713) 461-8979 – View Map
- Hotchkiss Insurance Agency
13430 Northwest Fwy #600 – Houston, TX 77040 – (713) 956-9800 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents have only one company to place business with and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are not able to provide rate quotes from other companies so keep that in mind. They receive extensive training on sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some consumers prefer to buy from the same agent for years partially due to the brand name and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in Houston that are able to give price quote information.
- Tammy Pham – State Farm Insurance Agent
13618 Bellaire Blvd, Ste E5 – Houston, TX 77083 – (281) 498-6800 – View Map
- Brandon Herndon – State Farm Insurance Agent
10103 Fondren Rd #150 – Houston, TX 77096 – (832) 431-4222 – View Map
- Donald Malveaux – State Farm Insurance Agent
12001 Richmond Ave #6 – Houston, TX 77082 – (281) 679-7155 – View Map
Finding the right car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Get answers to these questions too.
- How are claims handled?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Texas?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Houston?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
It’s not one size fits all
Always remember that when buying the right insurance coverage, there really isn’t a best way to insure your cars. Your financial needs are unique.
These are some specific questions may help you determine whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totalled car?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
The best rates come from being thorough
People leave their current company for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, extreme rates for teen drivers, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, switching companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
When you buy Houston auto insurance online, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to save on Honda Ridgeline insurance in Houston. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive Houston auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the best price on insurance is with a small local company.
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Houston Auto Insurance for Active Military? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Houston Car Insurance Quotes for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Electric Cars in Houston? (FAQ)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)