Have you finally had enough of trying to scrape together enough money to insure your Toyota every month? You are in the same boat as many other consumers in Texas.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of auto insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly the majority have never compared rates with other companies. Many consumers in Houston could pocket approximately $1,800 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but most just don’t grasp how much money they would save if they bought a different policy.
Consumers have many car insurance companies to buy insurance from, and although it’s nice to have a choice, it can be more challenging to find the best rates for Toyota Yaris iA insurance in Houston.
This article’s goal is to teach you how auto insurance companies operate and how to save the most money. If you already have coverage, you stand a good chance to be able to save money using the concepts covered in this article. Although Texas car owners benefit from understanding the way insurance companies determine how much to charge because it varies considerably.
Best companies for Toyota Yaris iA insurance
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Houston, TX. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
What Affects Toyota Yaris iA Insurance Prices?
Multiple criteria are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but some are less obvious like where you live or how financially stable you are.
- Save money by eliminating extra coverages – There are quite a few add-on coverages that may not really be needed but may not be useful. Insurance for things like coverage for rental cars, towing, and extra life insurance coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when buying your policy, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them from your policy.
- Insurance rates and age – Beginning drivers in Texas tend to be easily distracted when driving with friends and because of this, their insurance rates are much higher. If you’ve ever had to add a teenage driver to your policy can really hurt. Older drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims, and are safer drivers.
- High credit rating translates to low premiums – A driver’s credit score can be an important factor in determining your rates. If your credit rating could use some work, you could pay less to insure your Toyota Yaris iA by repairing your credit. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers who have bad credit.
- When should you file a claims? – Insurance companies in Texas provide discounts to insureds who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance coverage is designed for the large, substantial claims.
Cheaper rates with these discounts on Toyota Yaris iA insurance in Houston
Companies offering auto insurance don’t list all discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Houston auto insurance online. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with a few insurance companies.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not really a discount, but companies like Allstate and GEICO will allow you to have one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you haven’t had any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers – Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- No Accidents – Houston drivers who stay claim-free have much lower rates in comparison to drivers who are more careless.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child complete a driver education course in school or through a local driver safety program.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
Auto insurance companies that may include these benefits possibly include:
- Mercury Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
When getting free Houston auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Some discounts listed above may not be available in Houston. If you would like to see a list of insurers who offer insurance discounts in Houston, follow this link.
Local Houston insurance agents
A lot of people still prefer to buy from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from and supporting local agencies is important especially in Houston.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Houston that can provide free Houston auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You never need to drive around because prices are sent to the email address you provide. You can find lower rates without requiring a lot of work. If you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
The different types of auto insurance agents
If you need to find a good Houston insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents from which to choose. Agencies in Houston can be described as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents can quote rates with many companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies and find you the best rates. If they find a cheaper price, an independent agent can move your coverage which makes it simple for you. When searching for an agent, you absolutely need to include rate quotes from several independent agencies for the best price selection.
Featured below is a short list of independent agents in Houston who may be able to give you cheap rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents are well trained on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agencies in Houston that can give you price quotes.
Finding the right insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- How are claims handled?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- How are they compensated?
- Does their agency support local causes in Houston?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
Car insurance ads are enticing
Car insurance providers like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO regularly use television and radio advertisements. All the ads make the same claim that you can save if you move your coverage. It sounds good, but how can they all give you a lower rate on Toyota Yaris iA insurance in Houston? This is how they do it.
Companies have strict underwriting profiles for the type of driver that is profitable for them. For instance, a desirable insured may be between 30 and 50, has no prior claims, and has excellent credit. Any person who fits those characteristics will get low rates and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who are not a match for the ideal profile must pay higher premiums which results in the customer buying from a different company. If you listen to the ad wording, they say “customers who switch” not “all people who quote” save that much when switching. That’s why companies can truthfully claim big savings.
Because of these techniques, it’s extremely important to compare quotes as often as possible. Because you cannot predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
Get the best coverage at the lowest price
We just covered many ways to save on Toyota Yaris iA insurance in Houston. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Houston auto insurance, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Houston auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best price on insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies. These smaller insurers can often provide lower car insurance rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
There are still a few companies who do not offer rate quotes online and these small, regional companies work with local independent agencies. Affordable Toyota Yaris iA insurance in Houston can be found on the web as well as from independent agents in Houston, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional insurance information can be read at these links:
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)
- Who Has Affordable Houston Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Dodge Grand Caravan in Houston? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 16 Year Olds in Houston? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Infrequent Drivers in Houston? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for College Students in Houston? (FAQ)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)