Do you need a fast way to compare more competitive Honda Civic insurance in Houston? Perplexed by the number of auto insurance companies in your area? You're not alone. You have so many choices that it can really be more work than you anticipated to find the perfect company for you. Everyone knows Houston is a great city to live in, but inflated auto insurance rates can make it hard to buy full coverage.
A recent survey discovered that about 70% of customers renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, U.S. drivers could save $859 each year by just comparing quotes, but they assume it's a waste of time to compare rates online.
It is always a good idea to do price comparisons at least once a year because insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you got the lowest price on Honda Civic insurance in Houston last year a different company probably has better rates today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the easiest way to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to reduce premiums using these techniques. This information will let you in on how car insurance works and some tips to save money. Although Texas drivers do need to understand how big insurance companies charge you for coverage and use it to find better rates.
Eight discounts for cheaper insurance rates
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts that may help make it more affordable. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of purchase, but a few need to be asked for before they will apply.
- Auto/Home Discount - When you combine your auto and homeowners insurance and place coverage with the same company you will save up to 20% off your total Civic insurance premium.
- Houston Homeowners Discount - Just being a homeowner can get you a discount because it is proof that your finances are in order.
- Air Bag Discount - Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings of 20% or more.
- Onboard Data Collection - Houston drivers who agree to allow data collection to analyze when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematic data system like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot may see discounts if they are good drivers.
- Employee of Federal Government - Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- No Accidents - Houston drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current Civic insurance policy expires. It's a savings of about 10%.
- Resident Student - Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Houston without a vehicle on campus could qualify for this discount.
Drivers should understand that some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. If you do the math and it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn't make money that way.
Some of the larger companies who might offer some of the above discounts possibly include:
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies what discounts are available to you. A few discounts might not be offered on policies in every state. To find insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Houston, click here to view.
When comparison shopping, there are several ways of comparing rates from different companies. The easiest way by far to compare Honda Civic insurance prices is to get quotes online.
When comparing insurance rates, know that having more price comparisons provides better odds of finding the best price. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online price quotes, so you should also compare quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Houston, TX. If multiple companies are listed, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$180||$412||$430||$26||$128||$1,176||$98|
|Civic VP 4-Dr Sedan||$180||$368||$500||$30||$150||$1,228||$102|
|Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$136||$378||$430||$26||$128||$1,098||$92|
|Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$220||$572||$538||$32||$162||$1,524||$127|
|Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$220||$580||$358||$22||$108||$1,288||$107|
|Civic LX-S 4-Dr Sedan||$144||$338||$392||$24||$118||$1,016||$85|
|Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$246||$828||$538||$32||$162||$1,806||$151|
|Civic EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$240||$542||$382||$22||$114||$1,300||$108|
|Civic SI 4-Dr Sedan||$156||$414||$400||$24||$120||$1,114||$93|
|Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$288||$774||$576||$34||$172||$1,844||$154|
|Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$252||$666||$358||$22||$108||$1,406||$117|
|Civic EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$282||$788||$500||$30||$150||$1,750||$146|
|Civic Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$318||$660||$496||$30||$148||$1,652||$138|
|Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$232||$632||$538||$32||$162||$1,596||$133|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can impact auto insurance rates noticeably.
How much more does full coverage cost in Houston?
The example below illustrates the comparison of Honda Civic auto insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage. The premiums are based on no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There is no definitive rule of when to phase out physical damage insurance, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than around 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Honda Civic book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If it's costing you more than $400 annually for full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are a few cases where removing full coverage is not financially feasible. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should maintain full coverage.
Insurance agent or online?
Some people would rather buy from a licensed agent. The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance quotes but also keep your business local. Buying from and supporting small agencies is definitely important in Houston.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the coverage information is sent to insurance agents in Houston who will give you quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to your email. Get lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to compare rates from one company in particular, you can always search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Types of car insurance agents
When looking for a local Houston insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of agencies from which to choose. Agents can be classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
These agents are appointed with more than one company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move the coverage in-house and you can keep the same agent. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it's a good idea to get several quotes from independent agents to maximize your price options. Most also have access to different regional companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Shown below is a partial list of independent agencies in Houston who may provide price quotes.
702 W Sam Houston Pkwy S - Houston, TX 77042 - (713) 914-0354 - View Map
- Hispano's Insurance Agency
5420 Chimney Rock Rd - Houston, TX 77081 - (832) 778-8600 - View Map
- Duckworth Insurance Agency
3824 Broadway St - Houston, TX 77017 - (713) 645-1500 - View Map
Agents in the exclusive channel generally can only insure with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. These agents are not able to provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on their company's products which helps them compete with independent agents. Many people buy from the same agent for years mainly due to the brand legacy rather than low rates.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Houston who can help you get price quotes.
- Anna Santa Ana - State Farm Insurance Agent
7710 Cherry Park Dr d - Houston, TX 77095 - (281) 550-0333 - View Map
- Lucrecia Jasminoy - State Farm Insurance Agent
223 Cavalcade St - Houston, TX 77009 - (713) 884-1442 - View Map
- Joy Knox State Farm Insurance Agency
1510 Eldridge Pkwy #108 - Houston, TX 77077 - (281) 759-4300 - View Map
Choosing an car insurance agent shouldn't rely on just a cheap price quote. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Where are claims handled?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Houston?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Even though Houston Civic insurance rates can get expensive, insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Honda has a lien holder, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you have damage to your Honda as the result of the weather or an accident, your car insurance policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Civic greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $865 each year so smart consumers compare quotes at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Auto insurance coverage specifics
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
UM/UIM Coverage - This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the "other guys" either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Honda Civic.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 30/60/25), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Medical costs insurance - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for bills for rehabilitation expenses, pain medications and doctor visits. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover you and your occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverages - Collision coverage covers damage to your Civic resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against things such as rolling your car, backing into a parked car and crashing into a building. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also bump up the deductible on your Civic to bring the cost down.
Liability insurance - This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. It protects YOU against other people's claims. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 30/60/25 which stand for a limit of $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 for the entire accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair bills for other people's vehicles, pain and suffering, attorney fees and bail bonds. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Texas requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision - This coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims such as damage from getting keyed, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, a broken windshield, theft and rock chips in glass. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Don't give up on cheap coverage
Some companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies. The cheapest Honda Civic insurance in Houston can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood Houston agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection.
Consumers switch companies for any number of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, poor customer service, not issuing a premium refund and delays in paying claims. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a great new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
We just presented a lot of tips how to shop for Honda Civic insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your prices. Consumers could even find that the most savings is with an unexpected company.
Much more information about car insurance in Texas is located at the links below
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Houston Auto Insurance for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Houston Car Insurance Rates for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V in Houston? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in Houston? (FAQ)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)